Senior Game Designer
We are looking for a Senior Game Designer to join us in creating and guiding our projects, ranging from VR simulators to multiplayer worlds (?metaverses!) where people can practice and learn new skills by playing actual games.
We believe in the power of XR and games applied not only for pure entertainment but also to help businesses solve problems and give value: based on the use case we choose the best technology (be it Virtual Reality, Mobile, other platforms or all of them) and the best solution (single/multiplayer, learning game, simulation…), and design on it.
As a Lead Game Designer in AnotheReality you will have to analyze, plan, design and iterate to improve the quality and the player experience of our applications, and contributing with your vision on the long term as well. You will work with the other production departments, with the creative direction, and you’ll also face clients and business partners to understand their needs or to explain what we’re doing and why, in terms they can understand.
You will also guide design choices in a strategic way, based on the technical heritage and tools we have already at disposal, and decide how to reuse and when to take opportunities to grow and expand our tools.
This is not a junior position, nor a position for a theoretical designer who spends most of the time on the game design document: you’ll have to open Unity and modify parts of the game to iterate and test it, or prototype your ideas to validate them. You’ll have to make concrete decisions with incomplete information to allow the team (or the clients) to move forward quickly.
- Understand requirements, ask the right questions and design proper XR or gaming solutions
- Work with the team or on your own to define the systems and the mechanics and prototype them when needed
- Explain experience flow and mechanics in an effectively way both to the technical team and to non-technical people
- Make decisions. And understand when it’s time to cut, what to cut and what to keep
- Plan future developments with the support of the development team including scope, trade-offs and risks
- Create and maintain a clear and efficient design documentation
- Own the product vision and ensure that creative, quality and budgetary goals are met
- Mentor other members of the team as needed
- 4+ years of industry experience, with proven track record of completed projects
- Unity engine knowledge and basic scripting skills
- Deep knowledge of gameplay mechanics and motivation drivers
- Knowledge of UX design and able to apply it in every project
- Able to use repositories such as Git or Perforce
- Team worker, willing to help others and share knowledge
- Great communication skills, able to discuss with non-gamer people or non-technical people
- Passion for games, XR and cutting edge technology
- A natural curiosity for all aspects of game development and a willingness to work on a wide variety of systems
- Able to to mentor other junior designers
- Fluent in English, written and spoken
Ideal Bonus Skills
- Good knowledge of VR and AR design principles
- Working knowledge of the 3D assets production pipeline
- Experience with Excel functions
- Knowledge of software like Adobe XD/Figma
- Knowledge of Photoshop, PowerPoint or other “visual” tools
- Project management experience is a big plus
- Extra skills outside the sphere of game development are always welcome
- A friendly, transparent and ambitious working environment
- Diverse and challenging projects, with a high degree of freedom and responsibility
- Flat structure and little to none bureaucracy
- Personal and career development
- A lot of VR / AR to play with!
NOTE: if you do not have prior working experience developing on VR/AR technologies do not worry! Even though having it is definitely a plus, we think that you can learn to work with them with the help of the team.
Employment type is full-time, on-site in Milan, Italy.
Yearly Salary Range: € 35K – 45K
Currently in hybrid working (presence / remote), upon agreement with your manager.
Full remote work opportunities are evaluated only for freelancing.